Forum Mac-Video

Question about adding subtitles
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anic297

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 12:48 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have made my own movies (2 movies) using QuickTime Player and have used Toast titanium to burn a DVD, with a menu and my 2 movies.

Then, I've decided to add subtitles to my movies (they are in fact 2 same movies, but having different sizes, so the same subtitles can be used on both movies). So I've used an application to make my subtitles (I have now 2 files: one srt file and one subp file).

In MyDVDEdit, I have selected the first movie ("VTS 1" in the GPC list) and, in the "VTS 1" tab, I have clicked the "+" button in the "subpictures" section. Now, I have a subtitle for which I have set the language (etc.) but how do I map it to my existing data?

Perhaps, in other words, why is that "+" button made for if we cannot map the resulting data to anything?

Or do I need to do something different? I have spent hours/days in making these subtitles, so I don't want to give them up.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 18:08 Reply with quote

myDVDEdit cannot re multiplex VOB files.

You must rebuild the DVD with the new subtitles.

+/- buttons are here to add or remove subpicture information. There is no direct relation ship between a subpicture information and a subpicture stream in the VOB file. This table is used by the DVD player to display the list of all the subpictures.

The link between the subpicture information and the subpicture streams is done in the PGC information tab and depends on the Video format.

Not so simple, isn't it ?

Jerome
anic297

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 18:30 Reply with quote

Jérôme wrote:
myDVDEdit cannot re multiplex VOB files.

You must rebuild the DVD with the new subtitles.

+/- buttons are here to add or remove subpicture information. There is no direct relation ship between a subpicture information and a subpicture stream in the VOB file. This table is used by the DVD player to display the list of all the subpictures.

The link between the subpicture information and the subpicture streams is done in the PGC information tab and depends on the Video format.

Not so simple, isn't it?

Jérôme

Well, I understand what you're saying, but, concretely, how do you actually use the "+" button of the subpictures pane?

thanks
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 19:52 Reply with quote

Quote:
understand what you're saying

No you didn't

Quote:
how do you actually use the "+" button of the subpictures pane

As you already did.

Press + , fill the controls, that's all. You create a subpicture INFORMATION, nothing else.

Now select your title PGC, select the PGC x vertical tab, select the Information tab.

In the subpicture section, check the new subpicture checkbox and set the stream popups to the EXTISTING stream numbers in the VOB.

As I said, myDVDEdit cannot re multiplex VOB, so you cannot add new subpictures in the vob files.
To do that you have to rebuild the DVD with the new subtitles (with toast in your case, but I not sure toast accepts subpictures. If not, look for MovieGate).

Jerome
jelockwood

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct 2009, 14:21 Reply with quote

As Jérôme said, you cannot add subtitles to an existing DVD. The subtitles have to be part of the existing video files. One a DVD a video file is actually the video, the audio (possibly more than one track), and the subtitles (possibly more than one language) all 'multiplexed' together in to one 'file'.

The subtitles info page you have been looking at merely is the list that gets displayed by your DVD player. This might reasonably lead you to wonder why would you then want to be able to modify this list since you cannot modify the subtitles themselves. One possible reason is that while software exists to multiplex the video/audio/subtitles together it might not create a matching list in the DVD tables. You could then add this missing information.

My own use is to correctly set the language of the subtitles. An amazing number of commercial DVDs either have it set as 'unknown' or less often to the wrong language. While you cannot modify a physical DVD, I like a lot of people store my DVDs on a server and I can fix this sort of error on those copies.

Of the free software I have come across for the Mac, only ffmpegX can multiplex video/audio and subtitles to a DVD, although it can only add a single subtitle stream/language. I have created custom DVDs with multiple subtitles (and audio tracks) using IfoEdit in Windows via Boot Camp.

While it is a completely different need to MyDVDEdit and should therefore be in a different program, it would be nice if a better tool than ffmpegX was available for Mac to multiplex multiple audio and subtitles tracks to a DVD.
anic297

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov 2009, 13:08 Reply with quote

jelockwood wrote:
As Jérôme said, you cannot add subtitles to an existing DVD. The subtitles have to be part of the existing video files. One a DVD a video file is actually the video, the audio (possibly more than one track), and the subtitles (possibly more than one language) all 'multiplexed' together in to one 'file'.

The subtitles info page you have been looking at merely is the list that gets displayed by your DVD player. This might reasonably lead you to wonder why would you then want to be able to modify this list since you cannot modify the subtitles themselves. One possible reason is that while software exists to multiplex the video/audio/subtitles together it might not create a matching list in the DVD tables. You could then add this missing information.

My own use is to correctly set the language of the subtitles. An amazing number of commercial DVDs either have it set as 'unknown' or less often to the wrong language. While you cannot modify a physical DVD, I like a lot of people store my DVDs on a server and I can fix this sort of error on those copies.

Of the free software I have come across for the Mac, only ffmpegX can multiplex video/audio and subtitles to a DVD, although it can only add a single subtitle stream/language. I have created custom DVDs with multiple subtitles (and audio tracks) using IfoEdit in Windows via Boot Camp.

While it is a completely different need to MyDVDEdit and should therefore be in a different program, it would be nice if a better tool than ffmpegX was available for Mac to multiplex multiple audio and subtitles tracks to a DVD.

Thanks for the answer.
I actually can run windows (using Parallels, so no need to reboot into BootCamp), and have already tried IfoEdit. I had some troubles mixing things (although I have just giving up too early, because I think I could have done it to the end). My main concern was about the fact that I wanted to have subtitles on just one video track and have 2 other tracks without subtitles. I have now solved my problem by making my own application to add subtitles (real subtitles on the picture, so it's an additional track).
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: