VideoHelp
Forum Mac-Video

Confused about aspect ratio
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nancy711

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov 2009, 04:49 Reply with quote

I was having some difficult with the aspect ratio of a project that I created in iMovie and authored/burned in iDVD. I was directed to your site to view/change aspect ratio if necessary. My project is made up entirely of photos that have been cropped to 16:9 ratio so that I could view the DVD on my Sony 52" HDTV. However, I also wanted to be able to view the DVD on my standard TV. I couldn't seem to get a setting using iDVD that would allow that.

I downloaded myDVDedit and learned that my movie had been created with the setting "16:9 auto pan and scan and letterbox". I changed it to "16:9" and now it plays on my standard def. TV just fine (with letterbox). But I didn't quite understand all of the different 16:9 settings options available in myDVDedit. So I created 4 DVD's using each setting to see what they would look like on my HDTV. The results were:
1. 16:9 - video plays with letterbox top and bottom
2. 16:9 auto letterbox - video plays with letterbox top and bottom
3. 16:9 auto pan and scan - video fills the entire screen but sides are clipped
4. 16:9 auto pan and scan and letterbox - video plays with letterbox top and bottom
Here's my question:
If all of my photos in my movie have been cropped to a 16:9 ratio, why can't I get a 16:9 setting where the entire widescreen TV (16:9 ratio) is filled with the photo - without any letterbox or any side clipping? Because of the letterbox, the actual aspect ratio of the photos change from 1.77 (16:9) to 2.39 (16:6.7) causing slight stretching/distortion.

I am hoping this all makes sense and you can give me a little more insight into these settings.

Thanks, Nancy
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov 2009, 16:44 Reply with quote

Just read the DVD overview

Chapter 5.2.1 : Video Attributes

Jerome
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: