Forum Mac-Video

Advice needed for buttons and Toast
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anic297

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun 2010, 16:10 Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm using Toast to burn my DVD and would like to use MyDVD edit to do further changes.
I have 3 main movies and one "additional" movie which I'd like to be shown only before the first two are played (in other words, I'd like to have only 3 buttons, one for each main movie, and, if the 1st or 2nd one is chosen, the additional movie is played first (around 30 seconds of duration) then the chosen movie is played).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here are the steps I'm currently performing:
In Toast, I don't have any other choice: I must include all my 4 movies on the DVD (I don't know how to add the required "VOB", "IFO" and "BUP" files manually).
Then, my problem starts to begin: I have to choose how many buttons I want (if I choose a lower number than 4, Toast adds an arrow button to go to the additional ones, on another page). If I choose "Automatic", then I have 4 buttons, obviously. So, no choice either: I have to burn my DVD with my 4 buttons.
Back in MyDVDEdit to try to hide this additional 4th button. I can remove the button just fine, but it still appears visually on the screen (I guess it's embedded on the encoded background picture). I can't seem to find a way to change that background picture either.

Hope I'm wrong in some step, but it does not seem to be a way to have just 3 buttons with 4 movies on a DVD. Any hint?
anic297

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun 2010, 19:31 Reply with quote

anic297 wrote:
In Toast, I don't have any other choice: I must include all my 4 movies on the DVD (I don't know how to add the required "VOB", "IFO" and "BUP" files manually).

Hmm… I finally tried some commands in the application that I hadn't tried before and I've come across the "Import VTS…" option, which seems promising. In fact, even when I saw only "IFO" files were selectable. I thought it wasn't the command I was looking for, but, as I saw some kind of conversion for the VOB file, I'm guessing it's the correct way (don't add the extra movie in Toast, and do it later).

(I have responded to myself in case someone else has this problem. I emphasize the fact that I haven't tested my solution yet. Should I remove this thread instead?)
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun 2010, 22:57 Reply with quote

You right, don't add the extra movie in Toast.
But you need more information.

First, create your DVD with your 3 titles.
Then create a second DVD with only the fourth title.
Then import VTS1 of DVD 2 in DVD 1.

Now you have to add some commands to play Title4 before Title1 and Title2. The difficulty is always the same, Title1, Title2 and Title4 are not in the same VTS and you cannot jump from a VTS to an other. You have to jump throw a VMG Menu PGC

- In VMG Menu, add a PGC with only one command, Jump Title 1.
- In VMG Menu, add a second PGC with only one command, Jump Title 2.
for my example, that will be PGC 10 and PGC 11

In the VTS of Title 4, (VTS 4, I guess):
- Duplicate PGC1 (VTSTitle 1), Title 5 is created
- Replace the post commands in PGC1 with Call VMG Menu Pgc 10.
- Replace the post commands in PGC2 with Call VMG Menu Pgc 11.

Last step, Somewhere in your DVD, when you select a menu, you must have a command Jump Title 1. This command must be replace with Jump Title 4.
Same thing with the command Jump Title 2, must be replace with Jump Title 5.

That's all folks.

Jerome
anic297

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun 2010, 13:03 Reply with quote

Jérôme wrote:
You right, don't add the extra movie in Toast.
But you need more information.

First, create your DVD with your 3 titles.
Then create a second DVD with only the fourth title.
Then import VTS1 of DVD 2 in DVD 1.

Now you have to add some commands to play Title4 before Title1 and Title2. The difficulty is always the same, Title1, Title2 and Title4 are not in the same VTS and you cannot jump from a VTS to an other. You have to jump throw a VMG Menu PGC

- In VMG Menu, add a PGC with only one command, Jump Title 1.
- In VMG Menu, add a second PGC with only one command, Jump Title 2.
for my example, that will be PGC 10 and PGC 11

In the VTS of Title 4, (VTS 4, I guess):
- Duplicate PGC1 (VTSTitle 1), Title 5 is created
- Replace the post commands in PGC1 with Call VMG Menu Pgc 10.
- Replace the post commands in PGC2 with Call VMG Menu Pgc 11.

Last step, Somewhere in your DVD, when you select a menu, you must have a command Jump Title 1. This command must be replace with Jump Title 4.
Same thing with the command Jump Title 2, must be replace with Jump Title 5.

That's all folks.

Jérôme

Thank you for your clear explanation, Jérôme!
In my first test (the one where the buttons where still displayed but disabled), I had successfully made the "jump" command (I had come to your website since, indeed, I didn't figured the solution myself), but it's because Toast already made the PGC for me. Now, I'm glad you mentioned the step, because I forgot Toast didn't added them that time.

Also, it was my first time in "programming" a DVD (using registers to know whether or not something already happened, etc.). Being myself a programmer (well, I use Realbasic, perhaps you have already heard of it), the registers are a wonderful game to me!

I have a last question (that you didn't answered in your post): is my assumption that buttons are embedded in the background picture correct?
(which would explain why removing a button in MyDVDEdit just remove the object, but not it's visual appearance).
Thanks again.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun 2010, 14:12 Reply with quote

buttons, buttons...

A button have 3 components.
- his image representation. sometime, the button is directly draw in the image. you have to change the image to hide the button, not simple.
- his subpicture representation. a subpicture is a image that partially cover the current image. each pixel can have one of the 3 defined color/transparency, the fourth color is reserved for the background with transparency=0.
- his parameters: his position/size in the subpicture, colors/transparencies when it is selected, color/transparencies when it is actived, and more.

When you remove a button, you just remove its parameters from the button table. Without these parameters, the subpicture representation of the button is not displayed but pixels are not removed.
Try something, just for fun.
- Display the button rectangles
- Enlarge a button rectangle to include a other button.
now each time you select the button, the second button will be drawn as selected, too.

Jerome
anic297

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun 2010, 14:39 Reply with quote

Jérôme wrote:
buttons, buttons...

A button have 3 components.
- his image representation. sometime, the button is directly draw in the image. you have to change the image to hide the button, not simple.
- his subpicture representation. a subpicture is a image that partially cover the current image. each pixel can have one of the 3 defined color/transparency, the fourth color is reserved for the background with transparency=0.
- his parameters: his position/size in the subpicture, colors/transparencies when it is selected, color/transparencies when it is actived, and more.

Thanks.
Jérôme wrote:
When you remove a button, you just remove its parameters from the button table. Without these parameters, the subpicture representation of the button is not displayed but pixels are not removed.
Try something, just for fun.
- Display the button rectangles
- Enlarge a button rectangle to include a other button.
now each time you select the button, the second button will be drawn as selected, too.

Jérôme

Ah yes, you're right. And if the button covers partially the other button, only the area covered by both buttons is selected. So it appears there are as much selection indicators as there are buttons, located at the same places, and the system simply draws what it finds inside selection area.

I'd like to ask you another question I ran into: since the VTS I've added isn't part of the "standard stream", I'd like to prevent it to be accessed using the "Title selector" (e.g: in Apple DVD Player, in the "Go" menu, there's a submenu called "Title" and my extra VTS is also listed there (and of course, it can be selected)).
So I've played with "Prohibited User Options" and saw 3 commands that may do it ("Title Play","Next/Previous/TopPG Search" and, in the "Menu Call" section, the "Title" checkboxes). It seems the "Title Play" option is the one that prevents DVD Player's "Go to title" menu to work, but I'm not sure it's safe (both because I don't know how it will behave on other players and because I don't know what else it prevents). I'd like some advice here, please (yes, I know about the documentation, which I've already read, but it's a more precise concern here).

Thank you.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun 2010, 20:54 Reply with quote

Yes it's safe. it prevents the direct selection of of title by the user. Of course the Jump Title commands are not concerned.

To works correctly, this option must be checked in ALL the Pgcs.

Jerome
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: