VideoHelp
Forum Mac-Video

iDVD final DVD won't play as usual
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnk96

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 17:10 Reply with quote

I have created DVD's annually for dance shows for about 5 years. Normal process was an HD video captured to iMovie (1080i - I know it is i not p - working on that), cut it, send to iDVD create the image, utilize myDVDEdit to change settings to "16:9 auto Leteerbox" burn and run - no problems.

The reason for changing this setting was for the benefit of individuals with older 4:3 TV's and older DVD players, so that the DVD would automatically letterbox.

This year, I wanted to try for more definition. I captured in iMovie HD, added a .mov slideshow created on a mac (show as a 720p), and a .mov credits created in iMovie 11 (because of ease and length restrictions I tied 2 credits together).

I opened this in iDVD and added the Revolutions theme and created an image. Ran through the normal procedures and found this:

(all settings were MPEG 2 and NTSC and 720x480

First Play - empty, I don't have a First Play set
in the VMG Menu tab:
VMG Menu en - 16:9 auto Pan&Scan and Letterbox
VTS Menu 1 en - 16:9 auto Pan&Scan and Letterbox
VTS 1 - 16:9 auto Pan&Scan and Letterbox
VTS Menu 2 en - 4:3
VTS 2 - 16:9 auto Pan&Scan and Letterbox

The original unaltered image burned to a DVD will play, with no issues, but will not Letterbox on a 4:3 TV screen (as usual).

When I change them all to "16:9 auto Letterbox" the DVD will won't play in my test DVD players (a newer player) and a portable w/screen for kids player. When I test it on an old DVD Player with a 4:3 TV - it won't load at all either. This has always worked in the past without issue.

After fiddling, I left the 4:3 setting alone and changed all the others - using these settings, a burned DVD will play on the newer player, the portable player, BUT will Not load on the older DVD player with 4:3 screen that has always been my test unit for all the previous years.

Any ideas, unless the player is a dud now (it plays other DVD's without problems) I am kind of stuck.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 19:19 Reply with quote

First Play must not be empty, the result is undefined (depends on the player).

set First Play to
Code:
Jump VMG Menu title
and retry.

Jerome
jnk96

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 20:16 Reply with quote

Thank you for investigating the issue.

My apologies since, it isn't "empty." I just did not designate anything in iDVD as First Play.

The settings there are unchanged at:
Type: Jump/Call
Jump VTS Menu
VTSM: 1
Type: root

Although it isn't Jump VTS Menu 1, I think that is OK since that setting remains unchanged.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 21:18 Reply with quote

There is no reasons that just changing the aspect parameter cause problems with a player. It's just one byte in the IFO file and nothing else.

I think more about a DVD burning problem.

Maybe you changed the DVD manufacturer.

Try to burn the DVD with a lower speed.

Jerome
jnk96

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2011, 15:34 Reply with quote

re: the one byte

I know! I've even used hexedit to compare the files. I was not able to control the burn speed on one burner, but I am trying another external burner, so I will give it another attempt - it is worth a shot.

I did change manufacturers, and went from DVD-DL to DVD+DL, but in the process, I have utilized 5 different brands (buying small packages from local stores). This has been my frustration - not being able to nail down the problem easily, without expense - and a huge amount of time.

I have tried Ritek (used this beforewithout problems), TDK, Memorex, Sony, and now - Verbatim.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2011, 15:54 Reply with quote

Not easy, I know.
This could help you
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

But the answer could be in your response.
"From DVD-DL to DVD+DL"

some (very) old player likes only DVD-DL, others only DVD+DL (and others, none).
the physical structure of DVD- is really different with the DVD+ and the DVD players hardwares should have been changed to accept this difference. If your player is too old, maybe it cannot perfectly read DVD+.

I don't understand why you are not able to control the burn speed. You can always reduce the burning speed. All burning MacOS X application use the same dialog box with a speed parameter. The default value of this parameter is 'Maximum speed', just change this value.
Personally I always burn my DL media with the lowest speed (2.4 if I remember well).

Jerome
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: