Forum Mac-Video

(#16) Using myDVDEdit with DVDs created by Pioneer DVD Recorders
Forum Index -> Bug Reports
Author (#16) Using myDVDEdit with DVDs created by Pioneer DVD Recorders
MalenySteve

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug 2006, 09:41 Reply with quote
Type:  Bug Report

Last change:  Mon 11 Dec 2006, 13:28
State:  Closed Based on version:  0.9.8 (v35)
Level:  Low Fixed version:  0.9.9 (v39)

Hi,

I came across myDVDEdit when looking for a small utility application for Mac OS X to modify DVD files. I have such a simple task to accomplish. I own a Pioneer DVR-520H-S recorder which enables me to record free to air programs onto DVD. The problem is that all TV shows are recorded with the aspect ratio of 4:3 regardless of whether they are widescreen or not. An oversight on the part of Pioneer which cannot be fixed in the unit.

The solution I have found is to record onto DVD-RW, copy to Mac HDD, edit aspect ratio in the files within the VIDEO_TS folder and burn to DVD-R. I thus have a need for a Mac OS X utility to change the aspect ratio header from 4:3 to 16:9 so I can correctly view anamorphic recordings. (A tiny PC application does just this - IfoAR2WS.exe - but I don't have a PC) Sad

So, I though that myDVDEdit would be the solution. I have tried out myDVDEdit on DVDs created with Apple iDVD and it works fine with these discs. The problem I have discovered is with DVDs created with my Pioneer DVR-520H-S 80Gb HDD/DVD recorder.

When I try to open a VIDEO_TS folder from one of these DVDs burnt on the Pioneer machine (or a version copied to my computer hard disc drive) nothing happens, it is as if the myDVDEdit software does not recognise the folder as a valid DVD folder. myDVDEdit just will not work with these VIDEO_TS files. The DVDs play perfectly in my DVD player or on my Mac (apart from the aspect ratio issue).

Does any other user have problems with DVDs created by DVD recorders of Pioneer or any other brand?

I would really appreciate some help on what should be a relatively simple exercise.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply to topic
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug 2006, 10:22 Reply with quote

I examined the DVD files that you sent to me.
These files do not contain the FirstPlay PGC, this is why it are not usable by the current version of myDVDEdit.

I am working on a new version which will automatically create the FirstPlay when it is missing.

Jerome
MalenySteve

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2006, 00:10 Reply with quote

Thanks Jérôme,

I am disappointed with Pioneer for being so slapdash in the DVD creation portion of their product. The real time variable bit rate capture to MPEG-2, and frame accurate editing capabilities of the video files in the unit using the TV screen are very good. The final DVD creation is very mediocre...

There are most likely a large number of Mac users who have these DVD recorders, and I subscribe to several digital video and DVD forums and I will be very happy to spread the word about myDVDEdit.

Regards,

Steve
Pioneer666

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 07:44 Reply with quote

Jerome: I am just revisiting this topic as I have created many DVDs with these older Pioneer recorders - and it's true that discs authored with them have no FirstPlay PGC info, so is there any possible way to use MyDvdEdit in order to make these discs Auto-Play?
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 08:00 Reply with quote

When a DVD does not have FirstPlay PGC, myDVDEdit creates one, so you should see it in you project.
To make your DVD auto-play, just add a JUMP command in FirstPlay to the title you want to play.

Code:
Jump Title 1
Pioneer666

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 08:06 Reply with quote

I shall try that, thank you so much for your speedy reply Idea
Pioneer666

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 11:27 Reply with quote

Yes, this does seem to work, however, the change I made seems to be "lost" when I reopen the DVD again. As it did not prompt me to "save changes" as the program does when altering aspect ratio, etc... I tried manually to "save", but again, when I reopened, that change I made (adding the Jump To Title 1) was no longer there. What do I need to do in order to save the modification? Thank you.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 13:18 Reply with quote

looks like a bug.
Send me all files except .VOB files. Only .IFO and .BUP to jerome at mydvdedit dot com, I will see if I can reproduce the problem.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Bug Reports Page 1 of 1

Jump to: