Forum Mac-Video

16:9 Auto Letterbox difficulty...
Forum Index -> Questions
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmacleod

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 19:44 Reply with quote

Not quite sure what I 'm doing wrong...

I open a project in iDVD 7.0.2, then create a disk image. I mount the disc image. When I try to open the "video_ts" folder with myDVDedit, I get the message "The folder or some files are read only". I can navigate through and understand how to change the settings to "16:9 auto letterbox", but the changes don't seem to have any effect.

I have gone ahead and burned the disc anyway...still not letterboxing. Sad

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 2.5GHz OSX 10.5.6
www.dylanmacleod.com
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 19:51 Reply with quote

here

Jerome
dmacleod

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 20:23 Reply with quote

Thanks Jerome

I tried that.

Made a new folder with a new name on my desktop and copied the disc image contents in to it. I made all of the video files "writable" and used myDVDedit to then change the setting to "16:9 autoletterbox".

With my iDVD project still open I burned a disc.

It is still not letterboxed.

This didn't surprise me because - how does iDVD know to reference the new folder with a different name that I have created in order to edit the settings?

Also, do I need to quit iDVD and then re-open it?
www.dylanmacleod.com
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec 2008, 02:00 Reply with quote

iDVD cannot open VIDEO_TS folder

you must burn the DVD with a other program.

read this

Jerome
writetokirk

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 17:33 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

It looks like the documentation on this needs a little tweaking. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was getting the "The folder or some files are read only" error because it appeared that I successfully changed the permissions on these. Only after struggling with this and seeing that the actual files within the video TS folder were still "read only" did I realize that there's a little "gear" icon at the bottom center of the file info box (this is Mac OS 10.5 anyway) that lets you change the permissions for all of the files within the folder. Phew, hurdle one accomplished!

Then, once mydvdedit could open the folder with the TS files in it successfully without the warning, there was no tab labeled "IFO" anywhere to be found. All I saw were tabs that read, for VTS 1 for example: DVD, VTS 1, PGC 1. (Is this because I used the map function within iDVD, which makes the disc automatically play upon insertion without any menu?) However, by clicking on VTS 1, VTS Menu 1 en, and then VMG Menu en (in that order, or else it crashed on me) and finding the vertical tab that corresponds to each of those choices, I was able to select 16:9 auto letterbox and save the files.

I have not burned the DVD with these new settings, but I'm about to and I'll try it on my old home DVD player. (I'm on this adventure in the first place because my home player automatically expanded the 16:9 image to fill the screen and ended up losing space on the left and right.)

I hope this helps some fellow frustrated mac user!

========================

UPDATE: The letterboxing was a success! There is a bit of a "jaggy" problem with horizontal lines, but I'm guessing that's no fault at all of myDVDedit, probably just because there's so much compression going on to get the high-def onto a DVD. I'm going to monkey with some of the iDVD settings (maybe "Professional" quality encoding?) as well as perhaps compress the .mov file coming out of Final Cut into 640x480 before sending it to iDVD.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> Questions Page 1 of 1

Jump to: