How to create a DVD based on VOBs
Forum Index -> User Tricks
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skeeve
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan 2009, 00:51 Reply with quote

Maybe this short tutorial is helpful to someone.

As you can see in the Questions Section I had a DVD with mixed up episodes and wanted to correct that.

This isn't possible with myDVDEdit, but it helped a lot and maybe can help fix up problems you might still encounter when following this short tutorial.

My main problem was that all 5 episodes were contained in just VTS_01_X.VOB.

So the first step was extracting each episode using Mac The Ripper. Switch it to Title Extraction and extract each title (episode) seperately. You will get several VOBs but you will be missing the required IFO file.

In order to get the IFO files, I used Tele2DVD with it's required tools. Simply drag one VOB at a time to Tele2DVD and let it create an image.

After each of these steps you get an image which you can mount. Navigate to it's VIDEO_TS folder and copy its VTS_01_* files. Change their names appropriately, so if you already have VTS_01_* from the first created image, rename those from the second to VTS_02_*. Peter Maurer's Name Mangler or it's older version (for Tiger) File List come in very handy here.

If you got the files, you can start creating a fancy DVD Menu using iDVD.

For this purpose I downloaded a short movie from the internet. Just about 1.4MB in size and in Quicktime Format so iDVD can handle this. I copied it 5 times (for my 5 episodes) and used them as a placeholder.

When The menu is finished, linking to the placeholder movies, you can create a DVD image with iDVD. When it's ready, mount it and copy it's content so that you can edit it.

If you look into the VIDEO_TS folder, you'll see several VTS_0X_* files. Those are the placeholder movies. Remove them and copy over your real VTS_0X_* files.

Now you can test the result with myDVDEdit and possibly fix whatever might have gone wrong. My Buttons for example, still linked to the wrong episodes Wink

P.S. Unfortunately every VOB ends with an "Exit" Command and I couldn't (yet) find out how to change that to jump to the next VOB (I think this isn't possible) or to jump to the menu (and possibly highlight the button for the next episode). I tried adding a "Call VMG Menu PGC 1, Cell 1" as a post command to all VTSs, but teting with DVDPlayer didn't show me the desired result. DVD Player simply stopped at the end of the episode.

More Tricks I found. The "P.S." above is no longer true. What I did now is this:

1. In each VTS I set the still time from "infinite" to "none". I assume "infinite" meant to stop at the end of the VTS.
  2. I removed all commands I found in all cells and PGCs, except for those noted below
  3. Iin "First Play" I added the pre command
    R0=0
  4. I kept the post command
    Jump VMG Menu title
  5. in "VMG Menu title" I added these pre commands
    R1 = 1
    if(R0 == R1) Jump Title 1
    R1 = 2
    if(R0 == R1) Jump Title 2
    R1 = 3
    if(R0 == R1) Jump Title 3
    R1 = 4
    if(R0 == R1) Jump Title 4
    R1 = 5
    if(R0 == R1) Jump Title 5
    R0 = 0
  6. In each of the 5 VTS I added the pre command
    R0 = 0
  7. In each of the VTS I added the post commands
    R0 = #
    Call VMG Menu title, ResumeCell 1
    where "#" is the number of the next VTS. So it's 2 in VTS 1. I also set R0 to 6 in VTS 5 despite the fact that there is no VTS 6. But my commands in the menu can handle this and this makes it easier, should I ever add a 6th VTS.

With this set, each VTS (episode) starts the next episode.

P.S. Testing the first DVD I burned with that gave me a functional menu. But no title was started. At least not on the real DVD player. I then added a "Link Cell 1" as a post command to the menu. Now the DVD workes as expected.
MarkMtl

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan 2009, 21:37 Reply with quote

May I ask where one learns how to do all this? lol.. I mean, it's very detailed with all the register settings and such. I don't see anything in Jerome's tutorial about how all these things work, so although it gives a general overview ... anytime one wishes to perform a specific task, we have to ask somewhere exactly HOW to do it.

Any idea if there's a detailed tutorial on the web on how all these codes work? Where did you learn, aside from trial and error? It all still seems to be a big mystery.

- Mark
Skeeve
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2009, 20:19 Reply with quote

To be honest: My "solution" might be total crap. At least for the trick with the registers, I think I later found a better solution here in the forum.

But to come back to your question: Google and the links here on Jerome's site helped a lot. That and the fact that I started programming back in 1982(!) on a TI59.

As far as I can see, the registers are simply nothing more than memory cells for values. They are, as I read in one documentation "general purpose" so they have no hidden meaning The consequence is (too me) that I can use them for whatever I like.

So here I used R0 to hold the value of the next title to play. R1 is just used for comparing a set value to R0. I didn't find a way to compare R0 to a fixed number (so no if (R0 == 1)) and so I set R1 to the value I want to compare to.

The rest is simply programming logic. I set R0 to 0 at the start of a title. If I don't, I would end in an endless loop, each time I press the "title" button. Example: Given R0 has the value 2. So when the menu appears, title 2 gets played. If I don't set R0 to 0 at the start of title 2, but keep it's value, then what happens if I press the "title" button on my remote control? I go back to the title. It finds R0 to be "2" and so starts over title 2 again.
Jerome
Administrator
Administrator   

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan 2009, 22:53 Reply with quote

Yes you can compare register with value. It's call direct comparaison. Some commands can use it, and some commands cannot. Commands that can use it: Goto, Link, Resume and the Set Register commands. For the others, you have to compare with a register.

Jerome
Skeeve
Beta tester
Beta tester   

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2009, 11:44 Reply with quote

MarkMtl wrote:
May I ask where one learns how to do all this? lol.. I mean, it's very detailed with all the register settings and such. I don't see anything in Jerome's tutorial about how all these things work, so although it gives a general overview ... anytime one wishes to perform a specific task, we have to ask somewhere exactly HOW to do it.

I found a nice tutorial section for DVD After Edit which might be useful to some of us. Okay: It's for another (expensive) program, but the ideas are exactly the same, one just have to find out how to match each described working step to myDVDEdit. But at least you learn much about what the commands are and what happens when.

I hope It's okay for Jérôme, that I link to that tutorial. If not, please rmove the link, Jérôme.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Forum Index -> User Tricks Page 1 of 1

Jump to: